Monday, May 21, 2012

Summer is Almost Here!

The weather this past weekend was awesome! It made me excited for hosting parties outside again. Last June, we had some friends over to celebrate summer – I find any reason I can to celebrate… I tried to keep the menu easy so that I could enjoy the party as well. I think it was a success – we all had a lot of fun and I stayed relatively calm.


Cooking in our kitchen can be difficult in the summer because we don’t have AC, so I decided to grill chicken and vegetable skewers. They were still on the grill when this picture was taken - the white platters on either side were where the skewers ended up.


We also grilled grape tomatoes on skewers to enjoy with this lemon and feta dip. I found the recipe for this dip in last summer's issue of Sweet Paul Magazine. It was easy to make ahead of time and everyone loved it! The sign is a piece of driftwood Tim and I found down by the lake and the name is written using a white ink pen from the Paper Source.

For something sweet, I served brownies with lemon cream cheese frosting. I was going for a cheery yellow and green theme so thought the addition of lemon to the frosting would be nice.
 

In keeping with the easy menu, I made sangria. It’s best if it’s made a day ahead, so it’s a perfect drink for a low stress party. I used Bobby Flay’s sangria recipe but made a few alterations:

Sangria
2 bottles red table wine
1 cup brandy
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup triple sec
1/2 cup simple syrup
seasonal fruit

No comments:

Post a Comment