Monday, July 16, 2012

Cocktails

Today, I'm going to share with you a few different cocktails we've tried recently. We have a liquor store around the corner from us which is helpful when I feel like trying out a new cocktail. We've been getting to know the guy working there a little as we ask if he carries things like Lillet Rose or Maraschino Liqueur. Our latest question was were he kept the bitters.

As we check out, sometimes he guesses what we are going to make with our purchases. I had to laugh this time as I told him we were trying a recipe from Martha Stewart. It seemed like such a prissy thing to say in the liquor store, but the Grilled Peach Old Fashioned we made was awesome!





We've been growing thyme in our garden, which turned out to be really handy for this recipe. And I love grilled peaches! This really was a great drink!
 

Another drink we've tried recently was the Strawberry Rickshaw. I found the recipe on Eat, Make, Read (now The Best Remedy). It was good and fruity and sweet. If that's not your thing, this may not be your drink. Despite my love of sweets, I have to be in a certain mood to like fruity, sweet drinks. And I found that you really need to muddle the strawberries well - they tend to clog the strainer as you pour.


The napkin is from Ikea (leftover from a shower I hosted). Awesome place for finding pretty, inexpensive napkins.


The last recipe I'll share is a Pina Colada made with coconut water instead of coconut cream. I'm not sure where the recipe I found came from, I wrote it down last summer. So I'll just say that it contained pineapple, coconut water (I found it at Trader Joe's), a little sugar, a little lemon juice, and rum. Play with ratios to find one you like. Or you can follow a recipe here.


I will say, I liked the real version we made last summer with coconut cream better. But if you can't enjoy it because you're thinking about all of the calories you are consuming, coconut water is a good alternative. 

The napkins were a gift from my sister and brother-in-law. I think they may have got them from Crate&Barrel? I love serving things (drinks, dessert, etc.) with fun napkins! 

Have you tried any fun cocktails lately? Maybe with a somewhat obscure ingredient we can ask our local liquor store guy about?

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. The grilled peach old fashioned looks soooo good! Will definitely be trying this one soon.

    ReplyDelete