Monday, July 2, 2012

Mango Avocado Orzo Salad



I like making soups because it seems pretty easy to be creative in the process. Throw this in, throw that in, taste, repeat. For this same reason, I like making pasta salads with orzo. Sometimes I like to use tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. Other times I've used roasted peppers and goat cheese. This time I used avocado and mango... let's call it Mango Avocado Orzo Salad.
  
Mango Avocado Orzo Salad 

16 oz bag of orzo pasta, cooked and drained
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 limes, zested and juiced
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tsp salt
1/2 medium red onion, diced
1 can black beans, drained
1 mango, diced
2 avocados, diced
bunch of cilantro, coarsely chopped

1. Cook the pasta in salted water as directed on the package. Once drained and add a little olive oil to the pasta and stir. This will keep the pasta from sticking together in clumps as it cools. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix the garlic, lime, olive oil, and salt with a whisk.
3. In a large bowl, combine the onion, black beans, mango, avocados, and cooled pasta. 
4. Pour over the dressing, add the cilantro, and stir. 
5. Garnish with cilantro.


I wrote down everything I put into the salad this time so that I could share it with you, but in no way is this recipe meant to be confining. Get creative! Add cayenne pepper if you like it. Use pineapple instead of mango. Figure out what flavors you like and then work with new combinations.

What flavors would you combine in an orzo pasta salad?


No comments:

Post a Comment